On Healthy Cooking : Quinoa, Chard & Co Made Easy
“In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.” Curnonsky
A small treasure box of ideas for the simple preparation of healthy and flavorful food, successfully tried and tested at Mary’s Dinner Club.
No-nonsense guidelines on what to do with all those good-for-you ingredients, dedicated to all my foodie friends and online followers who have either had a virtual or a real taste of the recipes included here. I trust the book will open the doors to a new, trouble free and fun culinary world for you.
How & Where To Buy
Buying my book is easy :
Table Of Contents
My book, On Healthy Eating, contains a plethora of simple & healthy recipes, as detailed below, with a few samples for you to try before you buy!
Cooking with Quinoa
Cooking with Buckwheat
Buckwheat with mushrooms and balsamic glazed onions
Cooking with Oats
Cooking with Lentils
Lentil - leek - pear salad
Coconut - lentil soup
Sweet potato - ginger - cream cheese pie
Cooking with Leafy Green Vegetables
Swiss chard - Swiss chard lasagna
Cooking with Eggs
Quiche - Flavorful leek quiche
Frittata - Easy vegetable frittata
Egg salads - Celery - orange - egg salad
Cooking with Rice Noodles
In soups - Burmese fish soup
In salads - Bell pepper - rice noodle salad
In main dishes - Fresh spring rolls
Oatmeal - cranberry cookies
Ingredients for about 40 cookies
- 100 g butter
- 200 g oatmeal (fine)
- 100 g brown sugar
- 125 g flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 50 g almonds, chopped
- 50 g dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- Mix butter with oatmeal then add other ingredients.
- Preheat oven at 180 °C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper (or grease the tray).
- Scoop teaspoons of batter onto it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool (they will become harder).
Quinoa, celery and avocado salad w/ apples and pomegranate seeds
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1 cup/200 ml of quinoa, rinsed well,cooked for 15 minutes in 2 cups of water, cooled
- 3 stalks of celery, rinsed and chopped
- 2 apples, a sour kind, cut into wedges and sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled cut into dices
- seeds from 1 small pomegranate
Combine all, add avocados last and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds
Tangerine - sesame tahini dressing
- Juice of 2 tangerines or oranges
- 1 tablespoon sesame tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (herbal) salt
Mix well and drizzle on top of your salad
Ideas for cooking with sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a flavorful and very healthy alternativeto regular potatoes. They are rich in dietary fiber and betacarotene and very versatile and even though they are sweet, they do have fewer calories than regular potatoes.
- As chips or in wedges - fried, baked or grilled
- In soups, puréed and/or mixed with other vegetables
- Cut into cubes or junks and sautéed with onion and garlic
- Cooked or baked and added to salads, especially tasty with strong flavors like rocket
- Baked (and stuffed)
- In dips and curries
- In casseroles with spinach or other leafy green vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower
- In breads, desserts and pies
- In stews with beans, grains or meat